Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Interview Preparation 101

If you are going to an interview there are a number of things you must prepare, such as a chic suit, matching shoes and handbag, minimalist but sophisticated accessories, a map for directions because you do not want to get lost on the way, and umm.. oh! an idea of what you are going to say.

It is highly advisable to prepare beforehand for the predictable questions, one of which could be: “What are your strengths and weaknesses?” Ah, the classic question. Excerpts from brainstorming of anonymous whose name begins with a “T” and ends with a “Z” and rhymes with “bees”, as follows:

My weaknesses:

  • I don’t think I have a weakness. I suppose that is a weakness in itself.
  • I procrastinate. I tend to work better and more effectively when under pressure. So I still don’t think that is necessarily a weakness.
  • I like to delay my work to write in my blog. And boy if you read my blog, you wouldn’t think that was a weakness either.
  • After my humble confessions above, you would be utterly surprised to know that I am a narcissist. But people are more accepting of such syndromes these days, so I don’t worry about it.

Clearly anonymous was having trouble on what was seemingly a very simple question. But really, there should be no trouble at all. The trick to answering “what are your weaknesses” questions is to seem as though you are answering it, but in actual fact you are still not answering it. The point of an interview is to sell yourself, even when you are talking about your “weaknesses”. Refer to excerpts of our anonymous’ revised answer:

My weaknesses:

  • I procrastinate. I tend to work better and more effectively when under pressure. *sigh* (Actual message: I can work under time-pressures)
  • I am not very spontaneous. I have trouble working in a disorganized way or environment. I would be lost if I didn’t understand the big picture and plan out the small steps and details first. This is such a disadvantage because not all organizations are organized. *sigh* (Actual message: I am extremely organized and detailed. I have high expectations that this office will be as professionally organized as it promotes itself to be. If not I may as well not be here. )
  • I don’t know how to use the typewriter. (Actual message: Quite obvious)

So that concludes our lesson for today boys and girls. Now go ace that interview!

1 comment:

Grasswatcher said...

Hi Tiza!

Actually, you commenting on my blog leads me to question exactly how many people my parents have been handing out my url to, but it's all good. Hahaha.

Well, the charcoal didn't work, and fasting's still out of the question. And I don't want to buy sake when my folks can trace the transaction *hush-hush!*. Haha. I'm pretty much recovered though, so at least I'll have a little bit more puasa to do this year. Fingers crossed that I can eat all the good stuff come lebaran :D

I also read some of your blogs...whoa. I love the way you write. It's lots of fun. Especially the ones on food. Hahaha. Ngiri nih.

Anyway, thanks for commenting on the blog. Hope that interview went well!