Saturday, January 12, 2008

The 2008 Contemplation Post: When it Rains, it Pours

A bit late, I know. But sometimes a New Year’s significance doesn’t hit you until a little later (quite possibly because of the hangovers, but also because the lazy brain wants to go on holiday too). In retrospect several things happened prior and post 01-01-08, which either changed or cemented my perspective on the road ahead.

- I came close to losing someone very important in my life, because of a stupid mistake on my part. You know the saying “you don’t know what you have until you lose it”? Well, I would add that you don’t fully know what you need to hold on to until you almost lose it.

- A dear friend has ordered me a renowned and beautiful version of the english-translated Quran, with a message to “read it daily, bit by bit”. It’s not the first time I’ve resolved to be more religious, but I’m always hoping it will get easier as time and maturity steps in.

- I decided to choose one over three other interesting job offers with different professions. This was difficult because, let’s face it, I am still that greedy pig and I want to be everything. Well, pig got sent to the butcher and came back with a career.

- I’ve had a turbulent year with quite significant falls. But I’ve decided that there really is nothing that wasn’t meant to be.

- I’ve learnt not to expect that things will come in mediocre form. Every blow is going to be hard, every success a bliss followed by another bliss. Apparently that’s what makes life interesting: the fact that things pour on you instead of just trickle boringly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be spiritual rather than merely being religious.
Blog needs a bit updating,neh?