Sunday, May 09, 2010

On sausages and law

After my exam finished I hung out with a friend to relax and immediately relieved myself of that disturbing news I heard in the middle of studying which I had had to push aside for the time being. So basically I blurted out the whole story about Sri Mulyani.

"Congratulations! Good for her. That's an amazing position", said he, who had always wanted to work at the World Bank.

"Yes it's amazing and we're proud. But we've lost the best finance minister one could ever hope for. And I'm worried, because dammit. No offense, but I'm sick and tired of BRIC. Everyone only ever talks about Brazil Russia India China. BrazilRussiaIndiaChina. It's about time it became BRICI. And I think we had a good momentum going with her as finance minister."

Being Brazilian, he grinned wickedly. And then he shrugged dramatically. "Sorry. It's hard to catch up with us."

"Zip it. We could be as good. Well, should. Should be as good. God. Politicians are..." I clenched both my fists until they shook to convey how politicians in the parliament are.

"They are." He nodded sympathetically.

"And I can't believe they make the law. They actually make the law. This collective force of incompetence who only care about their political agendas instead of the things that really matter. It makes me dizzy."

"Yup. Well you know what they say about sausages and law."

"What do they say about sausages and law?"

"You don't want to know how they are made."*

"Fuck. That is profound."




*(The quote allegedly comes from the West Wing)

1 comment:

Rob Baiton said...

As I recall, that is one of the places I heard it :)

Yep, she was / is a big loss to Indonesia. But, the beauty of these sorts of things is that they have a strange habit of working themselves out in the long run!

She will be back: bigger, better, and stronger!

I am sure she will be leading Indonesia to its rightful place at the big table soon enough (and in your lifetime).

Now, on the advice side...a couple of deep breaths always works for me :D