Friday, August 29, 2008

Padang

Last week I went on a trip to Padang in West Sumatra. It was a semi-compulsory tour-guide trip, and everybody knows the worst kind of trip is the tour-guide trip where you are trapped in a bus dominated by souvenir-shopping, pocket-camera-wielding, bus-karaoke-singers. For 12 hours.
Of course, I am not without fault.

Fault No. 1: I forgot to bring my iPod. And ear plugs.
Fault No. 2: I forgot to bring a good book to read. The kind that makes you forget where you physically are.

However I also did a few things right, and deserve a little credit, if I may.

Credit No. 1: I brought my camera.
Credit No. 2: I brought a sense of humor and a big appetite.

Allow me to make sense of the miniscule results above, starting from the top moving left to right:
  • The view from our hotel at Bukittinggi – local boys on their way to the mosque
  • Juicy succulent satay Padang – crispy prawn fritters from sidewalk vendors
  • Warm fragrant coconut pancakes called "bika bakar" – … and its amazing kitchen!
  • Martabak Mesir (Egyptian pancakes, which have nothing to do with Egypt) filled to the brim with delicious beef rendang – hot steamed peanuts on a warm night
  • Durian, durian – … ooh and more alcoholic durian! :)

Umm… Okay so they’re mostly food.


Those tour-guides do nasty things to your appetite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you deserve to have credit for taking good pictures, yay!
though i think not all the tour-guide kind of tours are not worthed to consider, it depends on how good the tour guide can manage to become a fascinating storryteller ^^

Anonymous said...

dasar loee.. makan mulu.. ntar kalau ke rumah gadang gw, kita makan2 lagi bo!

Anonymous said...

Tiz,
The pictures are artistic, something worthy of a travel book or at least a travel journal. Good eye!
:)