Tuesday, October 30, 2007

On speechifying.

Yesterday was a good day because I spent the entire day (and night) working on a speech.
The only thing I hate about speech-writing is the deadline, but apart from that it’s a lot of fun.

When I received the first draft from the related department, I felt a slight tingle of excitement and anticipation. I rubbed my hands together, and gave them each a blow. Puff, puff. I settle my hands on the keyboard and hungrily open the draft.

Drama drama. Let’s sweep the audience off their feet. Let’s give them the shebang. Let’s show some vision and charisma and leadership. Let’s… let’s… um, hang on.

Upon quickly glancing over it I realized the first draft was, well, difficult. The frown upon my brow gradually deepened as I tried to make sense of it. And (my brow) reached new dimensions at the following paragraph, lovingly crafted for our President to say:

“The main objective is to reduce oil based fuel and subsidy in our economy. In addition with the introduction of the cleaner fuel for household, we improve our woman and our daughter, whom in our society for cooking and most affected by the burning of unclean fuel in the household.”

This quickly dampened my excitement. Apparently I was put into society to cook, and I need to be improved for that purpose. *frown frown*

Now you see why it was a long and exhilarating day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be grateful instead. You are not one of those who in "our society [is meant to spend life] cooking..." Ha ha ha... It could've been worse, you see.

Rob Baiton said...

Nothing like barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen...not rocket science to work out this is a male dominated world...