Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thesis is like Soap.

You never really end up the way you had predicted from the start. Although this theory is dependant on how consistent, and how competent a scholar, the writer is, I would like to think that most writers don’t end stories up as planned. In the beginning there will be a sneak preview, the introduction of characters that seemingly lean towards a certain predictable tale. In the middle complexities and subtle nuances appear, frantically trying to steer the writer in other directions. If I were not a thesis writer at the moment, I would gladly yield. It would be the most natural thing to do, like when life throws hurdles at you and you simply flex, bend, and take an alternative route. In extreme moments, I feel currently my thesis is like a soap show, not merely tempted to steer off track, but to steer in and out, add and subtract characters, undergo extreme surprises, have affairs left and right, and voila… end happily.
But no… it must be boring and rigid. With the thesis, you must end as you had planned, because the professors hold you accountable for your plans. I so lack the privilege of a melodrama.

No comments: