Friday, June 02, 2006

How sadly deprived.
In anticipation of a certain event tonight, I had spent a few hours of two days deciding on what to wear. Helped by mom, always so excited and intervening, I tried on thisandthat, even became a little adventurous. As if a holiday spirit had come over me, all I seemed to covet were girly windblowy skirts and beaded necklaces. So unlike me. And precisely why I completely failed, having discovered that I do not have enough resources to develop a holiday fashion within two days. How can people manage to match every bag with every shoe? It’s beyond me. My talents reacheth not this realm. I am humbled. In resignation I settled upon my usual simple look, elegant at best and quite boring. Assured myself, as Oscar Wilde has so eloquently stated, that ‘fashion is a form of art so ugly that it must be thrown out every three months’. Also quoting from Mies van der Rohe, that ‘Less is More’. Of course, I stoically ignore that neither scholars work in the fashion field. After much ado and psychological reframing of mind, I was finally content and set upon having a good time, fashion-oblivious. Only to be told that the event had been cancelled!

I am now wishing I had more quotes. :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes, majority means that all fools are on the same side"

--aficionado

Anonymous said...

Here's another one of Wilde's:

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”