Saturday, February 26, 2005

a shoulder and a heartbeat

“Eh, Ibu Tiza.. !”, my mom would say as I trudge in through the door round midnight and kick off my pointy black high-heeled shoes, exhausted. Dad would tease me in the mornings as I sit beside him in the car, neat and legal savvy in my ironed blouse and skirt, he’d say the only thing I lack is the monthly paycheck! They’re amused with my stories, worried about my kuliah, and pissed with my weekend practices. “You’re trying to solve the world’s problems by yourself!” Dad had said once when I was in a last minute rush and did not ask his help. Checked me a bit, that one did. But what it all boils down to is this constant fluctuation, consistent yet not dull, scheduled yet unpredictable. Harsh, but supportive. Fascinating, and comforting; discovering that discovery of life…
And at the end of the day, I would get to kick off my heels and savour the contentment. And, if I’m lucky, I would get a perfect shoulder and a heartbeat to rest my exhaustion on, sneakingly, briefly. Come to think of it, it wasn’t so much to rest my exhaustion than it was to… express my contentment.
*smile*

2 comments:

Eejal said...

:)

Anonymous said...

At times like this you contemplate on what the day teaches you. Pleasant things come after efforts have been made (regardless of whether plans were executed properly). Sometimes you just hafta let go of all your plans and give in to whatever momentum life leads you. Breakfast may turn into a simple thirst quencher. Sulks turn into hesitantly cute smiles. And throbbing agitated heartbeats at an instant tranquillised.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how the day starts if it ends exceptionally comforting. All you need is persistence. I'm ready to be persistent. Come rain, ...or come shine.