Thursday, December 03, 2009

Full circle.

It's Harvard, and it's exciting, because everybody is determined to be excited. All the Professors and the staff like to say inspirational things like, "Obama sat in this very class", or amusingly competitive things like, "the entire Yale could fit into our new north building", or downright touching things like, "I hope you can someday find a global solution to this crisis, because it will probably not happen in my time".

And then you go to the cafeteria and find yourself casually holding the door open for Nobel prize winner Amartya Sen on your way out. You dream of greatness, of future Nobel prizes, of change because Yes We Can, as we all know. You meet people who say "I want to be President" and you check yourself just right before you laugh because, waitta minute, he might be serious and he might really become one. You speak of your ridiculous dreams and ideas to people and they take you seriously, they say "you will be great", they give you a million more ideas.

You fit in as comfortably as a missing jigsaw piece and therefore you think you could fit in comfortably anywhere in the world, and the boundaries become limitless, with perseverance the only pre-requisite. Contrary to how it sounds... this is a humbling experience. Especially so due to the following thought.

Despite these "great" excitements one particular terrifying and unanswerable question lingers in my head. With whom will I spend the rest of my life with and when will that happen?

Haha. There. I've said it.

I will take no questions.