Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Going Solo.

Oh today. Attended a ceremony the president was attending in Solo, the National Solidarity Day Event. It was at an open roofed football stadium at 11.00 noon, and the place was swamped with plump ladies from the Social Department all dressed up to the nines. I could not help but notice the one sitting next to me had extremely protruding front teeth, which her red-painted lips could never quite conceal. The air smelt of sweat as the onlookers watched the opening: an army of parachutes landing on the field, almost all of them missing the big yellow mark.

My boss still nowhere to be seen or heard, I hung out with the reporters instead. Their looks are to be doubted, these unkempt, lanky haired journalists, but the minute they ask you a question you know they can be deadly. But today I need not fear, for they were as bored as I was. The event bore no news, and some of them were only in it for the free trip home to Java.

Every trip has a reason for being, something you can bring home in your mind, and this time it was the reporters I made friends with. They’re probably the most knowledgeable people in the world on the merit of knowing what happens the minute it happens. And yet unlike the most knowledgeable people in the world, they’re extremely approachable. Ask them what they think of an issue and they can immediately give you a modest analysis based on their simple but intense observation. And they’re always honest about what they think. You can learn a lot from people like that.

So based on the above, I’m happy to report that my first solo trip to Solo proved fruitful!

No comments: